Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

BEFORE I KNEW (Happy Mother's Day!)




She gave me her smile
before she ever saw my face,
held my life in her hands.
Gifted me her lips
the day we met,
her heart
forever.

Before she knew
who I was
she loved me.

She bequeathed me her smile,
her hands, her lips.
Each day I meet them
again, in the mirror,
and remember:
before I knew
what love was
I was loved.



Happy Mother's Day, to ALL moms... wherever they may be.
Love is the greatest gift.  Thank you.  


* * * * * * * 


Now, for anyone seeking additional Mother's Day material -- I recommend the following EXCELLENT works:
 
 
  • READ:  Robert Fulghum's essay on Mother's Day.  
(This essay can be found in his book:  It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It. p.100 -- or thereabouts.)  I wish I could provide a link to it, but I can't find it anywhere online, and I suspect that it would be a copyright infringement if I did, so... you'll have to try to beg, buy, borrow or steal a copy of the book.   


 

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Mad! Thanks for dropping in! :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow Pam, and a big sigh too--very lovely and what a wonderful thing to feel. Happy Mom Day :-) (PS your comment to C-Dog really cracked me up--you are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara & happy MD back at 'cha! It's so true though, isn't it -- how very different our lives would be without that unconditional loving start. :-)

      Delete
    2. Sara, I can't take credit for being that creative with that comment: check out some of William Steig's books like: "CDB!" and "CDC?" -- and you'll "C" what I mean! Enjoy! :-))

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, Pamela. Especially "before I knew what love was I was loved." YES.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Pamela! It rings so true! Hope you had a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia! Hope your Mother's day was lovely too!

      Delete