Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

TEMPORAL DYSLEXIA


public domain photo - credits appear below

Temporal Dyslexia

Sentinel at the door –
patiently awaiting
my friend’s arrival –
I scan each smile
entering the room.

But, when she appears,
I miss completely
her face.
Am caught off guard
by a stranger’s
warm greeting.

I did not recognize
this mature woman
with silver-streaked hair,
laugh lines and glasses.

Though our friendship is
decades old,
in my mind’s eye
she is still 15.

P.S. Cleary/2008

public domain photo credits:
Description Reading glasses
Date
Source Own work
Author Dori
Permission
(Reusing this file)
Public Domain
Other versions Derivative work: File:Reading glasses (nosepads crop).jpg
Public domain I, the copyright holder of this work, release this work into the public domain. This applies worldwide.
In some countries this may not be legally possible; if so:

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

7 comments:

  1. This is truly lovely poem. And because you're an awesome poet, I nominated your blog to the Liebster Blog award, you can read about it here: http://sopphey.onimpression.com/2012/05/crazy-dreams-nominations.html

    The Liebster Blog Award is kind of like a big Internet hug one blogger gives to another because they're so cool. So yeah, I think you're really cool.

    ♥ Sopphey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Wow! Thank you, Sopphey! I’m so honored… also shocked and amazed! And now, I have some homework to do. You’ve already created one link for me back your site [THANK YOU]! @ http://sopphey.onimpression.com/2012/05/crazy-dreams-nominations.html [Loved your dream story and illustrations!]. Now, I need to figure out how to add a badge to my web site, and also choose (only?!) 5 bloggers that I love (who have less than 200 followers) to pass the hugs on to. I'll be back later. Thank you again! :-)

      Delete
  2. Pam, such sweetness. Isn't it funny how our minds peg our friend's age at the age that we meet them? A mental fountain of youth:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara -- glad you liked it! And so true about that mental fountain of youth. I think we peg our own age that way too -- hence the startle we get when we look in the mirror! :-))

      Delete
  3. Oh my. Always reminders of how quickly time passes. Well penned, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a cliche, but time really does fly, huh? :-] Thank you, Marie -- so glad you enjoyed it! :-)

      Delete
  4. RE: COMMENTS & LIEBSTER AWARD: I’ve been so busy lately just trying to keep up with WRITING that reading & commenting have been on the back burner. So, now, it looks like I will have to get cracking on the READING.

    PLUS, every link I jump to leads me to yet another new blog and another unfamiliar (to me) writer to check out. I could fall into a black hole and never be seen or heard from again! Wish me luck!

    And, again, THANK YOU! You guys are really making my day/week/month! :-))

    ReplyDelete